Division: Downtown SLC Presents
Job title: Cultural Core (THE BLOCKS) Program Director Manager /
Full-time / Exempt
Supervisor: Downtown Alliance Executive Director
Job description: The Program Director is an employee of the Downtown Alliance and leads the implementation of the Cultural Core Strategic Plan (see links for details) per the interlocal agreement between Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County.
The director is responsible for developing and executing an annual plan and budget for approval by the Cultural Core Budget Committee (CCBC) and the staff liaisons from Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County.
The director provides the CCBC with regular updates on outcomes, spending and future programming.
The Program Director convenes and manages an Arts Advisory Committee (AAC) for the purposes of gathering feedback on the annual plan initiatives and outcomes.
The Cultural Core includes arts and cultural programs in downtown Salt Lake City (North Temple to 400 South; 300 East to 600 West). THE BLOCKS is the public-facing brand of Cultural Core programming. The Program Director works directly with the Cultural Core Operations Manager and Communications Director.
● Promote the mission and activities of the Cultural Core; present to stakeholder groups and the public.
● Direct the planning and implementation of Cultural Core programming; hire and manage contractors as needed to implement programming; manage the performance, deliverables, cost effectiveness and service level of contractors.
● Develop an annual plan and budget in support of the Cultural Core strategic plan.
● Provide regular status updates and forward looking plans to the City and County liaisons and CCBC.
● Ensure that the budget is managed and executed within the parameters of the CCBC approved annual plan; publish clear and accurate documentation of budget plans and spending
● Work with all arts and cultural programmers in the designated Cultural Core area.
● Provide strategic direction to the Communications Manager on initiatives in the annual plan.
● Provide the Communications Manager with programming content and opportunities from arts organizations for use in communications and marketing campaigns.
● Foster collaborations among art and cultural programs within the core.
●Direct outreach efforts outside of the core to reach and develop new audiences for arts programming in the core (i.e. Blocks truck, education, demonstration, performance).
● Represent Cultural Core/THE BLOCKS at public events and meetings
● Ensure necessary permits are in place for cultural core programming on city property; arrange and contract use of private property where necessary and prudent.
● Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
● Leading groups and individuals to consensus.
● Managing a budget, accounting for spending, communicating finances of an organization.
● Clear and concise communication in verbal, written, and presentation forms.
● Supervising employees; managing contractors; creating agreements with subcontractors.
● Solving problems; revising plans to achieve best outcomes.
● Competency in Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and/or similar programs
● Excellent organizational and delegation skills.
● Project planning, preparation, analysis, evaluation. Education, Experience, and other
● A broad and deep understanding of the arts programming in downtown Salt Lake City.
● Experience managing committees or boards. ● Arts administration experience preferred.
● Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience
● Experience developing and leading multi-party projects with defined objectives, evaluating results.
● Experience managing government contracts preferred.
● Has a valid drivers license.
● Able to lift and carry 40 lbs.
● Able to work outdoors for events in all seasons.
UTAH’S ART MAGAZINE SINCE 2001, 15 Bytes is published by Artists of Utah, a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah.