Development Director Job Description
The Kimball Art Center (KAC) seeks a qualified candidate who is inquisitive, innovative, strategic, detail- oriented, solution-oriented, collaborative and inspired by our mission, vision and values.
The Kimball Art Center in Park City, Utah is seeking a full-time Development Director. The position is directly responsible for identifying and attracting various funding sources including Corporate Partnerships, Sponsorships, Foundations, Donor Relations, Public Funding, Grants and Membership – and is a member of the Senior Management team.
The Development Director will develop and execute the overall fundraising strategy and create a multi- year sustainable fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization, collaborating with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
The Development Director will have direct responsibility for KAC’s Membership Program including sales, building Member relations and retention.
The main areas of responsibility of the Development Director include, but are not limited to:
Comprehensive Development Plan
- Create a three-year fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization, collaborating with the Executive, Managing and Marketing Directors and the Board of Directors.
- Monitor and assess all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved.
- Monitor trends in the community, region or country and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Work with Senior Staff and Board of Directors to set strategic plans and annual budgets on an
Donor Relations & Cultivation
- Oversee donor relations and stewardship efforts, including gift acceptance and management, donor acknowledgment and recognition and reporting.
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for fundraising priorities.
- Coordinate individual donor solicitations including end of year appeal mailing, house parties, major
donor campaigns and other events with the Membership Coordinator.
- Coordinate in-kind donations and work with Finance Director.
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and
confidentiality of donor information. Work to ensure records are consistent and accurate.
Foundation and Government Grants:
- Identify and develop relationships with prospective grant-making organizations that meet fundraising priorities.
- Prepare and submit grant applications, mid-year and year-end reports as outlined in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization.
- Advise Executive Director regarding priorities for time devoted to donor contact.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with existing and potential sponsors and partners for KAC programming; Education, Exhibitions and Events.
- Manage sponsor/partner relationships including designing and executing, sponsorship decks, contracts and fulfilment.
- Oversee planning and implementation of special educational/fundraising events, including annual events for donors and partners.
- Plan and take part in strategic community outreach opportunities to generate support, including with school, church, lodging, community, private sector and other groups.
- Manage and execute development activities including developing foundation relationships, corporate sponsorships and individual donor solicitation activities.
- Conduct community relations campaigns within Summit County. Planned Giving/Annual Fund:
• Work with Development and Membership Coordinator, and other staff members as needed, to ensure timely and effective communications projects for internal use and public outreach. These may include:
- Collection of client testimonials and photos, and preparation of program updates on an ongoing basis for donor communication, outreach and monthly newsletter content.
- Create documents and reports as requested by the Executive and Managing Directors.
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization.
- Coordinate with the Marketing Director for the design, printing and distribution of
marketing and communication materials for development efforts.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising
goals of the organization.
- Develop annual Development budget with the Managing Director.
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditures related to fundraising and
the management of the fund development activities.
- Responsible for achieving budgeted revenue goals.
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as
- Work with accounting department to create all budgets and year-end budget reports for grants and
- Design, implement and execute all development activities including the Annual Fund and Planned Giving.
- Collaborate with Marketing Director to establish marketing programs for these programs.
- Develop and lead strategic membership development program designed to increase total number of members in this region.
- Research, build and organize the KAC Member Program.
- Responsible for achieving budgeted revenue goals.
- Lead the development of the strategic plan for member recruitment/retention.
- Manages one direct report: Development & Membership Coordinator.
- Hire and supervise staff, interns and consultants for the appropriate programs.
- Orient and train staff to program, highlighting process, learning opportunities and professional
development. Plan and lead regular meetings with staff.
- Establish performance standards for all personnel within the Development Department and provide
performance evaluations and feedback.
• Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• The position requires a proven track record of success and a current conceptual knowledge of nonprofit philosophy with an ability to leverage relationships and partnership opportunities for the overall benefit of the organization. This is a full-time exempt position that works closely with the Executive Director and reports to the Managing Director.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization, demonstrated success in a development function and managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources. Plus, minimum of 5 years of management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters preferred.
- A leader with demonstrated success working with colleagues from various areas of expertise and
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Highly organized with strong planning, project management and reporting skills and strong attention
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take
initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Must be a proactive, strategic thinker.
- Outgoing personality and excellent social skills in interactions with donors and prospects.
- Computer proficiency and technical skills (MS Office, donor/CRM database, Excel spreadsheets,
- Comfortable in a mission based, resource-limited environment.
- Applicants must be present and available to work in the lead up and implementation of the annual
Gala and the Kimball Arts Festival in July and early August.
• This job operates in a professional office environment, off site venues and outside event areas in various weather conditions. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, fax machines and AV equipment. Some ladder use may be requested. Evening, weekend and occasional holiday hours may be required for events.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Benefits: Generous PTO plan, Life Insurance and Health and Dental Benefits.
How to Apply: Qualified applicants please submit your resume and a cover letter stating your desired salary to email@example.com. Position open until filled.