The City of St. George has taken down work from a Utah Tech University art student in the Electric Theater Center Gallery after a woman publicly criticized the show’s content.
On Monday, Oct. 10, UT student Maddison Smith said she was setting up eight pieces of her art in the theater gallery, which is owned by the city and is an extension of the St. George Art Museum.
10/11 Utah Arts & Museums announces winners of the Utah Original Writing Competition
The winners were selected from a total of 246 entries from Utah-based writers.
2022 UOWC Winners
Category A: Novel, judged by Liz Kay
- First Place: The Icelanders by Iris Moulton (South Salt Lake City)
- Second Place: Rush by Larry Menlove (Payson)
- Honorable Mention: Poets Never Find Peace by McKenna Jackson (Orem)
Category B: Creative Nonfiction Book, judged by Carolyn Jess-Cooke
- First Place: Showdown at Crossfire Canyon by Patricia Karamesines (Blanding)
- Second Place: The Quiet Burden of Stones by Lin Ostler (Salt Lake City)
- Honorable Mentions:
- Dear You, Love Me by Shannon Masayo Martinez (Ogden)
- Where Dry Rivers Meet by Dylan Mace (Salt Lake City)
- Excursions With Scout: Meditations on Nature, Solitude and Community from a Life on the Road by Carly Gooch (Saint George)
Category C: Book Length Collection of Short Stories, judged by Kim Fu
- First Place: A Stranger in Your Own Town by Andrea Garland (Salt Lake City)
- Second Place: How I Learned to Be Haunted and Other Stories by Lesley Hart Gunn (Provo)
- Honorable Mentions:
- Monsoon Country by Samyak Shertok (Salt Lake City)
- Stray Country by C.K. Turner (Sandy)
Category D: Young Adult Fiction Book, judged by Hal Shrieve
- First Place: Asynchronous by Andrew Grace (Salt Lake City)
- Second Place: The Novice by Lynn Buchanan (Orem)
- Honorable Mention: Mag’s Book of Questions by Christi Leman (Provo)
Category E: Poetry, judged by CMarie Fuhrman
- First Place: “The Last Beekeeper” by Samyak Shertok (Salt Lake City)
- Second Place: “The Trains Never Stop” by C.K. Turner (Sandy)
- Honorable Mention: “First Poems After the Stroke” by Shanan Ballam (Logan)
Category F: Short Fiction, judged by Anna Cabe
- First Place: “Maybe You Should Start Drinking” by Jean Marie Hackett (Park City)
- Second Place: “Swim” by Elizabeth Barnes (Santaquin)
- Honorable Mention: “Little Owl, Lake Michigan” by Dylan Robinson (Provo)
Category G: Creative Nonfiction Essay, judged by Ira Sukrungruang
- First Place: “The Moth Effect” by Kylie Smith (Salem)
- Second Place: “A Brief Examination of Mortality” by McKenna Jackson (Orem)
- Honorable Mention: “The Blue Bathtub” by Shannon Masayo Martinez (Ogden)
Sarah Winegar uses reduction woodcuts and relief paintings to articulate her feelings about the human experience. Ron Richmond paints to explore spiritual allegory and metaphor.
UTAH’S ART MAGAZINE SINCE 2001, 15 Bytes is published by Artists of Utah, a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Categories: Mixed Media